[INDOLOGY] Tamil initial vowels with vowel signs

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu May 19 19:38:46 UTC 2022

Dear Jan,

if you have a look at this link,

https://archive.org/details/gc-sh10-0106/page/n25/mode/1up

(also included as an attachment)

you can see a short எ printed with a RING above, which is the same as
the RING used on vowel-less consonants

See stanza 68 i.e. (௬௮)

eripiṟantiṭunāḷ...................

This is from the 1834 Editio Princeps of the Cūṭāmaṇinikaṇṭu

This  book was part of the collection of the late François Gros.
He donated his books to the University of Toronto and they have
digitized them and put them online.

Interestingly, the trick of using a DOT/Ring above is used only for
initial vowel signs,
as you can from this page

https://archive.org/details/gc-sh10-0106/page/n13/mode/1up

if you compare the way they print

செக்கர்வானிறத்தன் .... (in Stanza 22)

and
வேய்ந்தபூங்குறிஞ்சி ... (in Stanza 24)

As for the LONG எ printed WITHOUT a RING above

you can see one on this page
https://archive.org/details/gc-sh10-0106/page/n24/mode/1up

"எழ்பரியோன்", which would be nowadays printed as "ஏழ்பரியோன்"

Best wishes

அன்புடன்

--- Jean-Luc

https://htl.cnrs.fr/equipe/jl-chevillard/