[INDOLOGY] Google Translate for Sanskrit

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Fri May 13 11:04:25 UTC 2022

That sounds right. In addition, if I understand them correctly, they claim they have made a significant improvement. In their announcement (https://blog.google/products/translate/24-new-languages/), they say:
"This is also a technical milestone for Google Translate. These are the first languages we’ve added using Zero-Shot Machine Translation, where a machine learning model only sees monolingual text — meaning, it learns to translate into another language without ever seeing an example. While this technology is impressive, it isn't perfect. And we’ll keep improving these models to deliver the same experience you’re used to with a Spanish or German translation, for example. If you want to dig into the technical details, check out our Google AI blog post and research paper."

Blog : https://ai.googleblog.com/2022/05/24-new-languages-google-translate.html
Paper : https://arxiv.org/pdf/2205.03983.pdf

They say: "There are two key bottlenecks... The first arises from data scarcity; digitized data for many languages is limited and can be difficult to find on the web... The second challenge arises from modeling limitations....models must learn to translate from limited amounts of monolingual text, which is a novel area of research. "

Indologists would add that the program aims at reproducing a consensus about a one-to-one mapping from text to meaning. But we are usually interested in situations where such a consensus either does not exist, or is problematic.

Best regards,

        Satyanad Kichenassamy