[INDOLOGY] Google Translate for Sanskrit

Oliver Hellwig hellwig7 at gmx.de
Fri May 13 10:34:37 UTC 2022

Most probably they have built their MT system on top of so called deep
contextualized embeddings such as BERT
(https://towardsdatascience.com/nlp-extract-contextualized-word-embeddings-from-bert-keras-tf-67ef29f60a7b)
or Roberta (https://huggingface.co/docs/transformers/model_doc/roberta).
We have analyzed such multilingual embeddings for a Sanskrit project,
and it turned out that the Sanskrit data were mainly taken from a dump
of the Sanskrit Wikipedia, which explains the preference for the modern
version. Very useful for MT, less so for a close reading of Vedic texts.

Best, Oliver