[INDOLOGY] Help with Ms

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:10:04 UTC 2022

Dear Kenneth Zysk,

I see that BnF Sanscrit 132 images are online.

See for the online description:
https://archivesetmanuscrits.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cc96922b

See for the digitised microfilm:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10082949x

This BnF Sanscrit 132 is described by Cabaton 1907 (
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10536321f/f32.item), as noted in
your *Indian System of Human Marks*, and by Jean Filliozat 1941 (
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k255707s/f105.item).

>From Filliozat’s description we learn that this MS was part of the Hodgson
collection and was donated to the future BnF in 1840 by the Société
Asiatique.

It seems thus, to answer your question if I understand it correctly, that
both shelfmarks (Société Asiatique C5 and Sanscrit 132 in the BnF) could
designate one and the same manuscript.

One question of interest to me. Where did you find the shelfmark “C5”. I
guess it is from J. Filliozat, “*Catalogue* des *manuscrits sanskrits** et
tibétains de la* *Société asiatique*”, JA CCXXXIII, 1941-1942, to which I
have, unfortunately, no access.

If anybody on the list has a soft copy of this article by Fillozat, I would
be very grateful for sharing it.

With very best wishes.
[image: CEIAS] <http://ceias.ehess.fr>

*Emmanuel FRANCIS-GONZE * Chargé de recherche CNRS

*Centre d'Études de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud 2 Cours des Humanités 93322
AUBERVILLIERSbureau A222 *

✆ 01 88 12 01 82
Online CV HAL <https://cv.archives-ouvertes.fr/emmanuel-francis>
DHARMA <https://dharma.hypotheses.org/> Project