[INDOLOGY] perfectionism

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 08:27:18 UTC 2022

Thank you to all who responded to my query. The responses are most helpful.

I apologise if this sounds contrived or random, however there is a certain
requirement to be surreptitious.

Essentially, part of what I've been wondering about is if there are any
mentions of either attaining a general "yogic state" which are not
co-signed by the idea of perfection. Is there any mention that might
otherwise suggest that the pursuit/practice of "yoga" and the attainment of
its final state(s) is antithetical to the pursuit, practice or attainment
of perfection?

Or, is the general scholarly consensus that the attainment/accomplishment
of "yoga", in whatever guise or context, implies manifesting/reaching a
perfected state? Would it be fair to say that yoga, across the board, and
generally speaking, is a synonym with perfection? Does the state of being
situated in perfection require a continual attention to the process of
becoming perfected? For instance, is there any final "yogic state" of
accomplishment that otherwise requires attending to a state of imperfection
or incompleteness?

What about along the way? I think of some of the milestones that Patañjali
explains in PYS ch. 2, around the discussion of yamas/niyamas, etc., such
as the disgust for the body and withdrawal of the self from wanting to
engage with other people. Are there other, let's say, "indexes of
accomplishment" found in other texts? Lists, say, of signposts of things to
look out for, such as changes in one's appearance, demeanour, etc., to know
the practitioner is on the right path?

Thank you.

Patrick