[INDOLOGY] perfectionism

Caley Smith smith.caley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:48:24 UTC 2022

Dear Patrick,

The RV form *a-vadya-gohana* more likely means something like "hiding the
unspeakable," that is something publicly embarrassing or disgraceful,
rather than hiding a generic flaw per se. cf. the decompositional form in
RV 4.18.5:

*avadyám 'va° mányamānā gúhākar | índram mātā́ vīríyeṇā nír̥ṣṭam | *
áthód* asthāt svayám átkaṃ vásāna | ā́ ródasī apr̥ṇāj jā́yamānaḥ ||*

Like (when) one believes something to be unspeakable, the mother made
hidden Indra, (thought he be) flowing with manliness. Even so, he rose up,
donned his own garb, (when) born he filled up the two howlers (=
world-halves).

Regarding* atisiddhi*, I wonder if it's not an extension of the triplet we
find in Pāśupatasūtras of *atidāna, atiyajana, atitapas* about which Minoru
Hara has written (re-published in* Pāśupata Studies* edited by Jun
Takashima)*. *That is not perfection of X, so much as extra-X as polemical
against those who merely do *dāna, *yajana*, *and *tapas*.

Best,
Caley