[INDOLOGY] a subhāṣita

Gaia Pintucci gaiapintucci at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 06:35:29 UTC 2022

Dear list members,

I have two questions/requests regarding the following stanza:
sarvaṃ karma kṛtaṃ vidvān vidan viarāgyabhāg bhavet |
nirvikalpaḥ sadā tisṭhet tattvacintāparo bhavet ||
Knowing all the deeds that were done [by himself], a wiseman partakes of
detachment, remains constantly free from conceptualization and is focused
on his reflection about truth.

It looks very much like one of those floating subhāṣitas, therefore my
query is probably a hopeless one, nevertheless I'll toss in the ocean my
bottle with a message:
1) Have you ever encountered it in reading or heard it? In case, I would be
interested to know in which text or context.
2) Regardless of your reply to my first question, I am keen to hear your
suggestions as to its ideological/religious framework, if a specific one
comes to mind. I see that it could just be a wise saying without any
sectarian colouring, but still I wonder if it rings a bell with anyone.

The context in which I encountered it does not offer any hints: I found it
in two manuscripts of the same kāvya commentary, namely after the closing
formula iti *title* samāptā.

All the very best,
Gaia Pintucci