[INDOLOGY] Seven types of ascetics

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 07:34:08 UTC 2022

In his Bṛhajjātaka, Varāhamihira lists seven types of ascetics
corresponding to the seven planets: /śākyājīvikabhikṣuvṛddhacarakā
nirgranthavanyāśanāḥ/. A few centuries later, the commentator
Bhaṭṭotpala elaborates slightly on these, citing the authorities
Vaṅkālakācārya (writing in Prakrit) and Satyācārya. These passages are
discussed in Basham's /History and Doctrines of the Ājīvikas/ (p. 168
ff., giving the Prakrit author's name as Kālakācārya). I am wondering if
any further research on these ascetic categories has been published
after Basham's book, which is now more than 70 years old. In particular,
I am curious about the categories vṛddha (identified by Bhaṭṭotpala as
Kāpālikas) and caraka (which he says are cakradharas). All suggestions
are welcome.

Best wishes,
Martin Gansten