[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit inscription in Egypt?

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 11:32:26 UTC 2022

I'm afraid that the "beautiful Buddha statue" requires a fair bit of
interpolation to see, as the speaker himself makes quite clear. I have no
evidence that this is not a buddha, and if this partial image were found in
an Indian context we might well assume it to have been a buddha, but in
this context it requires really a great deal of imagination to conclude
that it is. More than a small amount caution is warranted, I should say.

Jonathan Silk

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 12:49 PM Westin Harris via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> [...]
> <https://www.carc.ox.ac.uk/GandharaConnections/webcasts?fbclid=IwAR1Annmu8GN0F8gkN1BYeB5FPXkXtQk0wQnJNWp8ljuMFEfYi9RwBJUq_NQ> in
> session 5 of the Gandharan Art in its Buddhist Context: international
> workshop: Dr Shailendra Bhandare (Ashmolean Museum), and Martina Stoye
> (Museum für Asiatische Kunst Berlin, SMB, SPK)Indian Dedications at
> Berenike on the Red Sea. There's a video available but I have always found
> the Gandhāra Connections website to be very finicky and have not been able
> to get it to play on my computer but only on my phone. Hopefully you have
> more luck!
>
> All my best,
> Charlie
>
> Dr. Charles DiSimone
> Department of Languages and Cultures
> Ghent University
>

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 9:24 AM Asko Parpola via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Excavations have been carried out at Berenike from the early 1990s under
>> Steven Sidebotham, who in 2011 published the following book:
>> Sidebotham, Steven E., 2011. Berenike and the ancient maritime spice
>> route. (The California World History Library 18.) Berkeley: University of
>> California Press. xviii, 434 pp., ill.
>> Steven E. Sidebotham is Professor of History at the University of
>> Delaware, email ses at udel.edu <ses at udel.edu>
>>
>> Best regards, Asko
>>

>> On 2. Jul 2022, at 1.23, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Rich,
>>
>>      I see a March 29 message on FaceBook by Shailen Bhandare:
>>
>> "The recording of our presentation on interesting "transcultural"
>> findings from the excavations at Berenike is now on-line. I present an
>> exciting discovery - the first ever Sanskrit inscription found in Egypt,
>> dated in the reign of Roman Emperor Philip 'the Arab'! It is a dedicatory
>> inscription left by a Kshatriya named Vasula, and undoubtedly of a Buddhist
>> nature as indicated by its colophon. Thanks again to Steve Sidebotham and
>> Team Berenike!"
>>
>> Shailen Bhandare will be the best source of information on this topic.
>>
>> Madhav
>>
>> Madhav M. Deshpande
>> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
>> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore,
>> India
>>
>> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 1:13 PM Richard G. Salomon via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> Some weeks ago I saw a reference on Facebook to the recent discovery of
>>> a Sanskrit inscription in Egypt, said to be dated to the reign of the Roman
>>> emperor Philip "the Arab" (244-249 CE). But I haven't been able to find any
>>> further information about this. Has anyone heard any more about this?

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden

Mailing address:
Expeditie Postkamer Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen

|||C/o Jonathan Silk, LIAS

|||Cleveringaplaats 1

|||2311 RD Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk