[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit inscription in Egypt?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Jul 1 22:23:08 UTC 2022

Dear Rich,

     I see a March 29 message on FaceBook by Shailen Bhandare:

"The recording of our presentation on interesting "transcultural" findings
from the excavations at Berenike is now on-line. I present an exciting
discovery - the first ever Sanskrit inscription found in Egypt, dated in
the reign of Roman Emperor Philip 'the Arab'! It is a dedicatory
inscription left by a Kshatriya named Vasula, and undoubtedly of a Buddhist
nature as indicated by its colophon. Thanks again to Steve Sidebotham and
Team Berenike!"

Shailen Bhandare will be the best source of information on this topic.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]