[INDOLOGY] Premodern Indian libraries and archives

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:56:41 UTC 2022

from a paper by Oskar von Hinüber, probably this is what you were after,
and some additonal references (ass simply copy pasted from von Hinüber)

Gérard Fussman: Dans quel type de bâtiment furent trouvés les manuscrits de
Gilgit? Journal Asiatique 292. 2004, p. 101-150; Gregory Schopen: On the
absence of Urtext and Otiose Ācāryas: Books, Buildings, and Lay Buddhist
Ritual at Gilgit, in: Gérard Colas et Gerdi Gerschheimer (Édd.): Écrire et
transmettre en Inde classique. (École française d’Extrême-Orient. Études
thématiques 23) Paris 2009 [rev.: Jean-Pierre Filliozat, Académie des
Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres. Comptes rendus des séances de l’année 2009
[2011], p. 1754-1760; L. Rocher, Journal of the American Oriental Society
131. 2011, p. 133-135; O.v. Hinüber, Zeitschrift der Deutschen
Morgenländischen Gesellschaft (in press)], p. 189-219. For more details see
also O.v. Hinüber: The Gilgit Manuscripts. An Ancient Buddhist Library in
Modern Research: Introduction (in press). — Images from Gandhāra showing
the type of a building as reconstructed by G. Fussman can be seen in Isao
Kurita: Gandharan Art.Vol. I. Tokyo 22003, p. 260f. and in Giuseppe de
Marco: The stūpa as a funerary monument. New iconographic evidence. East
and West New Series 37. 1987, p. 191-246, particularly p. 203 fig. 6 with
p. 202 note 23: The image reproduced by de Marco was seen in the market at
Karachi in 1974. The present whereabouts of the piece seem to be unknown.

jonathan

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 11:51 AM Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Christian,
>
> I recall that Gerard Fussmann had some interesting reflections on the
> Gilgit manuscripts in this respect, but I cannot locate the reference just
> now. Perhaps if this jogs the memory of someone else on the list, it can be
> located.
>
> I do hope that you post the results of this query to the list as a whole -
> it is a most important topic.
>
> best regards,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago
>
> https://brill.com/view/title/60949
>
> https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk