[INDOLOGY] Earliest epigraphical attestations of Telugu kōyila, kōvela 'temple'

Jens Thomas jens.c.thomas at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 21:33:46 UTC 2022

What I meant was that kōyilamu, which indeed means 'temple', may have been
used for that specific temple called peddakōyilamu instead of choosing the
generic term because pedda guḍi would simply be "the old temple" but
peddakōyilamu perhaps had another ring to it. I made that assumption
because the inscription is from Agiripalli near Nuzvid which is not so
close to the Tamil or Kannaḍa speaking area.

Best wishes,
Jens