[INDOLOGY] Earliest epigraphical attestations of Telugu kōyila, kōvela 'temple'

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 19:38:27 UTC 2022

I agree with Jens that *guḍi* is more common in inscriptional Telugu than
*kōvil(a)* or *kōyil(a) (*one instance of *kōyilamu* vs more than 10
instances of *guḍi *and its various forms of inflection*)*. Do we assume
the usage of  *kōvila/kōyila *for 'temple' is possibly a result of
influence from Tamil or Karnataka areas?

I agree with Chandra that *kōyilamu* is unlikely to be a personal name
given a clear neuter gender marker -*mu*.

Looks like Kannada has older instances of usage of *kōvil(a/u/e) and*
*kōyil(a/u/e).*

Thanks,
Suresh.