[INDOLOGY] Transliteration font for Mac 11.5.2

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 26 17:13:36 UTC 2022

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

My computer got infected and had to be rebuilt, with an updated version of the Mac OS.

Problem: The Gandhari Unicode with its rendering machine disappeared. I was able to install the Gandhari font files, but can’t get the font to appear in the list of fonts that is accessed from the top tool bar and I can’t seem to access the required rendering machine. Further, I understand that the font is no longer supported.

Question: Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Specifically, a font that does the same thing as the old Gandhari Unicode? (I have mainly used the sub- or superscript circle, the subscript “umlaut” (for the retroflex rhotic of Dravidian), and the nonsyllabicity symbol; but would like to also have access to the full range of diacritics.)

Hoping that some of the Indology members can help me and with all best wishes,

Hans Henrich

(Hans Henrich Hock)