[INDOLOGY] FW: Can this be true?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:55:28 UTC 2022

Ever since Shefts' *Grammatical Method in Pāṇini *and Kiparsky's *Pāṇini as
a Variationist, *there has been a scholarly interest in discovering
features in the Aṣṭādhyāyī that were unknown to even the earliest
commentators.  Mr Rajpopat kindly sent me his 2021 PhD thesis in February
this year.  I cannot give a definitive judgement, because I haven't had
time to work through all the examples.  But it is a well-written,
thought-provoking and compelling thesis.  I have more work to do on it, but
at present I am convinced by Rajpopat's arguments and insights.  Apart from
right-or-wrong, it raises lots of good questions and insights into problems
with the Aṣṭa. and it's traditional interpreters.

It would be interesting to have Vincenzo Vergiani's opinion, since he must
be the closest reader of this thesis so far.

Whatever the upshot, it's great for a technical work in our field to get
some public exposure like this.  The public needs to be told repeatedly
that research on ancient India is exciting and innovative, which it truly
is!

Best,
Dominik