[INDOLOGY] FW: Can this be true?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Dec 15 14:09:47 UTC 2022

In contrast with Patañjali, many modern scholars have argued that
originally the rule "vipratiṣedhe paraṃ kāryam" was intended to apply only
within the ekasaṃjñādhikāra prescribed by the previous rule "ā kaḍārād ekā
saṃjñā." While Rishi Popat disagrees with Patañjali, he still seems to take
the rule as applying across the entire Aṣṭādhyāyī. Popat has an interesting
suggestion, but I am not yet convinced of his understanding of paratva. I
would like to hear from my Guru, Professor Cardona.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]