[INDOLOGY] new article: EJVS 26

Caley Smith smith.caley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:12:32 UTC 2022

Dear Geoffrey,

A typological approach seems valid to me, although it could require the
same semantic change to happen independently.
It is not an inevitable change, of course, cognates Greek allos, Latin
alius/alter, English else never became semantically specialized in the way
ari- eventually does. I don't think we can chalk it up to having a backup
like anya- as another "other" since English has another "other" too: other
< *antero-. I have always seen the shift of ari- as occurring in a specific
political context where the other clan is not exactly an enemy but a rival
for position within the coalition of the clans (thus ari > ārya "the
political ceremony you do with the ari"), ārya of course is never pejorized
like later ari-. Btw, I am happy to send you pdfs of Mayrhofer's EWA.

Best,
Caley