[INDOLOGY] new article: EJVS 26

Caley Smith smith.caley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 14:14:15 UTC 2022

Dear Michael,

A minor point, as I have not yet read the paper in detail---but I am
curious as to why Monier-Williams is used as the semantic base instead of
Mayrhofer's EWA. For instance, based on MW the author renders ari- as
"enemy," when it really could not be so as that is a post-Vedic in situ
semantic development. At the hypothesized phase of the language, it should
mean something like "other" (following Thieme "other (person)" > RV
"guest") and any local semantic developments in the Mediterranean would
proceed from that sense.

Best,
Caley