[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit sandhi and pronounciation

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Aug 9 22:39:56 UTC 2022

Here are some scholarly deliberations on visarga versus parasavarṇa in
Sanskrit:

W. S. Allen (1953: 51):

"In later, though still ancient, times there appears to have been a
tendency for -*ḥ* to extend its usage to contexts other than in pausa. The
earliest of these extensions was to the position before the initial
fricatives *ś, ṣ**, s,*

where it replaced the homorganic final *ś, ṣ, s* (*indraśśūraḥ **> indraḥ
śūraḥ*, &c). This practice was then extended to the position before the velar
and labial voiceless stops: in connexion with this innovation we find
mentioned the names of  Āgniveśya, Vālmīki, Śākalya, and the
Mādhyandina school,
whilst the ancient grammarian Śākaṭāyana is quoted as holding to the more
conservative practice."

Allen also refers to A. H. Fry’s (1941) view that “the spread of *-ḥ* was
due to the writers of Classical Sanskrit operating with a phonemic
orthography.”

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]