[INDOLOGY] Sandhi examples in the english language

Rein Ende reinende at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:25:41 UTC 2022

Sandhi in Sanskrit is an example of sound shifts at word boundaries.
In English we have shifts such as the transformation into 'an orange' from
'a norange' from the original 'narañja' (Spanish from original Persian).
Also 'an apron' from 'a napron' loaned from 'napperon' (napkin) (from
French with an obviously related cognate).
There is the example of the presumed 'Lady Mondegrain' from a hearing of a
line in a poem mentioning a death, which reads "...laid him on the green..."

Rein Ende
MA, McMaster University