[INDOLOGY] NGMCP images and copyright law

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:09:17 UTC 2022

Indeed, the Blackwell article was the first thing I read on this subject.
Chris Blackwell is one of the information architects of the Homer Multitext
Project.

Jonathan

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 5:01 PM Stefan Baums <baums at lmu.de> wrote:

> Dear Jonathan,
>
> > I am not a lawyer
>
> here is an article by someone who is:
>
>    https://scholarship.kentlaw.iit.edu/ckjip/vol13/iss1/6/
>
> > it is NOT possible to claim copyright on two dimensional
> > reproductions of two dimensional objects (not only mss but also
> > paintings for example) which themselves are not subject to
> > copyright
>
> and they do indeed come to the same conclusion as you.
>
> > What *can* be exterted is contact rights
>
> Yes, that is the true mechanism by which holding institutions,
> collectors, and scholars with manuscript stashes keep them to
> themselves. There is appently no law that says that just because
> somebody has a copyright-free object or image, they have to make
> it available to you.
>
> > if I were to take, for instance, the University of Washington
> > Press volumes of Gandhari manuscripts and scan the images (NOT
> > the text) there is nothing they could do about it
>
> That is true of the raw images reproduced in those volumes, though
> an intellectual effort establishing a basis for copyright could
> probably be claimed for the reconstructed images.
>
> (In any case, as far as this publication series is concerned, the
> UW Press has agreed to make all volumes starting with the
> forthcoming GBT 7 freely available under an open-access license,
> and the plan is to extend this new arrangement to the existing
> volumes once their back stock has sold out.)
>
> All best,
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Baums, Ph.D.
> Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie
> Ludwig‐Maximilians‐Universität München

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk