[INDOLOGY] Access to Sanskrit manuscripts in the Tibet Museum, Lhasa

DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE diegoloukota at ucla.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:58:11 UTC 2022

  Dear David,

  The short answer is, as far as I know, no. They are zealously guarded and
the last I knew is that they will be for the foreseeable future. Ernst
Steinkellner managed to form a liaison in the 90s and published a few
things, but my impression is that otherwise they are permanently off
limits, to Chinese and non-Chinese scholars alike. If things have changed,
I would urge anyone who knows the current situation to update us.
  I think you may have better luck with the photos Tucci and Sankrtyayana
took, now in Göttingen and Naples.
  There is a complementary catalogue by Luo Zhao of the holdings of the
Potala and Norbulingka, of the MSS. that were never taken to the “Palace of
Nationalities” in Beijing. This circulates in xeroxes of the original
handwritten notebook.
  I hope this helps!

  namaskaromi,

  Diego

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 7:43 AM David and Nancy Reigle via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there any access to reproductions of the Sanskrit manuscripts now
> preserved in the Tibet Museum in Lhasa?
>
> A catalogue compiled in 1985 by Wang Sen lists 259 such manuscripts. This
> catalogue had been almost impossible to find until Haiyan Hu-von Hinüber
> reproduced it as an appendix to an article published in 2006, which I have
> posted here:
> http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/wp-content/uploads/Sanskrit-Manuscripts-once-kept-in-the-Palace-of-Culture.pdf
> .
>
> Many of these manuscripts had been described earlier by Rāhula
> Sāṅkṛtyāyana in three articles, which I have posted here:
> http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/279/.
>
> In particular, I am seeking scans or other reproductions of a manuscript
> or manuscripts of the Kālacakra-tantra.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> David Reigle
> Colorado, U.S.A.

  Diego Loukota
     Department of Asian Languages and Cultures - UCLA - 290 Royce Hall