[INDOLOGY] Inscriptions on Pala-type sculptures of Vishnu

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 04:39:51 UTC 2021

Dear Christophe,

Thanks for sharing these photos.

Such dedication inscriptions on sculptural stelae from Bengal are not uncommon. The following two catalogues published by Claudine Bautze-Picron include appendices by the late Gouriswar Bhattacharya with readings of several dozens of inscriptions of this type:

   Bautze-Picron, Claudine. 1998. The Art of Eastern India in the Collection of the Museum Für Indische Kunst, Berlin: Stone & Terracotta Sculptures. Monographien zur Indischen Archäologie, Kunst und Philologie 12. Berlin: Reimer.
   ———. 2014. The Forgotten Place: Stone Images from Kurkihar. New Delhi: Archaeological Survey of India.

G. Bhattacharya himself has dedicated numerous articles to such inscriptions, and most of them are assembled in this volume:

   Bhattacharya, Gouriswar. 2000. Essays on Buddhist, Hindu, Jain Iconography & Epigraphy. Edited by Enamul Haque. Studies in Bengal Art 1. Dhaka: The International Centre for Study of Bengal Art.

An effort is being made by Rajat Sanyal (University of Calcutta) as part of the DHARMA project to compile a database of such inscriptions, initially focusing on specimens that contain a (regnal) date, and I am helping him in this effort. I hope that we'll have something to show within a year or two.

The writing is often perfunctory (both from the point of view of physical engraving and from the point of view of grammar) and the texts are full of proper names. For these reasons, such inscriptions can be hard to decipher. Here's a quick attempt for the specimen you saw in Brussels:

[siddham] paścīnitañ ca māta ca ||

I haven't myself been reading such inscriptions lately so I expect numerous corrections from other members of this forum.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths
https://dharma.hypotheses.org/<https://dharma.hypotheses.org/people/griffiths-arlo>