[INDOLOGY] A question on critical edition

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 21:08:55 UTC 2021

Because "We do not have a clear idea as to why he did it" the 1930s edition
cannot be considered a critical edition, at least on this point.  What
makes a critical edition *critical* is that the editor takes a historical
and explanatory approach to the work and shares with the reader the
evidence and reasoning for the text of the work that is printed. None of
this happened in 1930.  So the G2 reading has to be considered a
conjectural emendation but given little weight by itself because it
contradicts all the manuscripts and is unexplained.  Only when good
internal arguments for accepting the reading G2 instead of G1 are given
could the G2 conjecture be given any weight.

If there's really no other background or evidence for G2 in the
manuscripts, no data, no reasoning, then I think one can't assert that this
work contains G2.  One has to say that the oldest version of the work that
we can reconstruct contains G1.  It may be an ancient error, or all
manuscripts may be derived from one original, erroneous manuscript.  We
don't know.  But what the manuscripts unanimously say is G1, and we just
have to swallow that fact, however awkward.

Further discussion about how impossible G1 may be, how it must be a
mistake, etc., are "secondary criticism" and are of course perfectly good.

Best,
Dominik