[INDOLOGY] Mahābhārata and Classical Hinduism Seminar at AAR

Collins, Brian collinb1 at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 17 18:00:00 UTC 2021

Dear Indology List Members,

This is a reminder about the programming for the Mahabharata and Classical Hinduism Seminar at AAR seminar this year (the first one, albeit delayed by one year). The papers are being pre-circulated, so if you are not on our mailing list (https://listserv.ohio.edu/mailman/listinfo/aar-mbh <https://listserv.ohio.edu/mailman/listinfo/aar-mbh>) and would like me to send them to you, please reply to me off-list at collinb1 at ohio.edu.

AV20-434 Saturday, 5:00 PM-6:30 PM (Virtual)

Session: Alf Hiltebeitel’s Legacy and the Literary-Critical Method

Bruce M. Sullivan, Northern Arizona University, Presiding

Brian Collins, Ohio University
[Retitled] "The Hiltebhārata: Rethinking Alf Hiltebeitel’s Epic Scholarship Through His Late Engagement with Freud; Including an Upākhyāna from Interwar Vienna"

Joydeep Bagchee, Independent Scholar
"The Mahābhārata as Literature: Hiltebeitel’s 'Literary Turn' at 20"

Vishwa Adluri, Hunter College
"Fathers and Sons: Deconstructing Paternity and Engendering Literature"

AV21-416 Sunday, 5:00 PM-6:30 PM (Virtual)

Session: Multifarious Mahābhārata Methods

Arti Dhand, University of Toronto, Presiding

Sthaneshwar Timalsina, San Diego State University
"The Doctrine of Vyakti or Emergence in the Mahābhārata"

Simon Winant, University of Gent
"Redemption or Death: Jain Reinterpretations of the Slaying of Kīcaka"

Andrzej Babkiewicz, University of Warsaw
"Sacred, Mundane, and Religious Geography of the Mahābhārata"

Best,

Brian

Assoc. Prof. Brian Collins
Department Chair and Drs. Ram and Sushila Gawande Chair in Indian Religion and Philosophy
Author, The Other Rāma: Matricide and Genocide in the Mythology of Paraśurāma <http://www.sunypress.edu/p-6920-the-other-rma.aspx> (SUNY Press, 2020)
Editor, Bollywood Horrors: Religion, Violence, and Cinematic Fears in India <https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/bollywood-horrors-9781350143173/> (Bloomsbury Academic, 2021)