[INDOLOGY] Help with a simile

James Mallinson jm63 at soas.ac.uk
Sun May 16 15:40:42 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks to all those who replied to me, on and off the list, with their valuable suggestions. Having been altogether unable to make sense of the simile I now find myself with a surfeit of possible solutions.

In particular I thank Andrea Acri for reminding me that I myself have written about kuñcikās. Chasing up that lead led me to a half-verse in the Khecarīvidyā (2.105ab) in which udghāṭya refers to removing an argala or “bolt”:

udghāṭyārgalam ākāśe jihvām ūrdhvaṃ prasārayet |

I find a similar usage in the Haṭhasaṃketacandrikā. Because of these usages, and the suggestions from colleagues that udghāṭayet and vibhedayet might have subtly different meanings in the Vivekamārtaṇḍa verse, I now suspect that udghāṭayet is being used in the sense of “unlock”. And that haṭhāt, as some colleagues suggested, gives a sense of certainty or inevitability. (By the way, I should have noted that the Vivekamārtaṇḍa does not call its yoga haṭha, so it is unlikely that there is any connotation of a particular type of yoga in haṭhāt.)

My latest translation of the verse is: “In the same way that by means of a key one may be sure to unlock a door, by means of Kuṇḍalinī the yogi may [be sure to] break open the doorway to liberation ”

But I feel a long footnote coming on. To help with that, would any colleagues be able to point me towards a pdf of the book by von Hinüber that Sven Sellmer kindly mentioned (or provide just the relevant pages)? Here are the details again:

Oskar v. Hinüber: Sprachentwicklung und Kulturgeschichte. Ein Beitrag zur materiellen Kultur des buddhistischen Klosterwesens. Stuttgart: Steiner (Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Literatur. Geistes- und Sozialwiss. Klasse. Jg. 1992, Nr. 6)., esp. pp. 14–⁠24, 30–⁠34.

All the best,

Jim