[INDOLOGY] Help with a simile

Ananya Vajpeyi vajpeyi at csds.in
Sat May 15 13:37:46 UTC 2021

Jim, picking up from Prof. Kapstein and Andrea Acri, I am reminded that in
Hindi, the "key" or "Cliff Notes" that people use to study for exams here
in India is called a kuñjī. Basically, with the right kuñjī, you can
"crack" an entrance exam. I realize that the door-key-opening-breaking
through metaphor is continuing here, from kuṇḍalinī yoga to the IIT
qualifying test, which yields its own version of mokṣa for the successful
candidates. And certainly getting through such ordeals to breach the
portals of these vaunted institutions -- engineering / medical /
architecture / management / law colleges -- requires a certain haṭha,
determination, force, effort, discipline, rigour, zor-zabardastī!

I see you don't really need our help, except as a form of "time-pass" in
this unending lockdown...

Yours,

AV.

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 10:38 AM alakendu das via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dr.Mallimson,
> I find "Kunchika" may be loosely translated as "Ripper" i.e a tool to rip
> open something.
>
> Alakendu Das.
>
> Sent from RediffmailNG on Android

*Ananya Vajpeyi*