[INDOLOGY] Sad news

Amba Kulkarni ambapradeep at gmail.com
Sat May 15 18:46:05 UTC 2021

A great scholar indeed. Very rarely we come across such Great Scholars
deeply rooted in the traditional Knowledge systems at the same time very
much conversant with modern technology.

I have seen his software on Shābdabodha in 1993 (or maybe in 1994), during
a conference organised by him. This software would generate the
shaabdabodha for a given Sanskrit sentence.

He was very open-minded and of helping nature. When I approached him in
2002-03 informing him about my plan to work on Sanskrit computational
linguistics, he immediately provided me with his word generation software
and asked his technical staff to provide me all the necessary help so that
I could install it on my machine.

Thus under the contributor's list
<http://sanskrit.uohyd.ac.in/scl/contributors.html>, of Samsaadhanii,  the
Academy of Sanskrit Research, Melkote goes at the top.

It is a great loss to the field of Sanskrit Studies.

-- Amba

On Sat, 15 May 2021 at 23:32, huet <gerard.huet at inria.fr> wrote:

> Dear Indology list,
>
> I was sorry to learn today of the sad demise of Pr. Laksmi Thathachar
> <http://tamil.sampspeak.in/2021/05/tributes-to-sri-u-ve-lakshmi-thathachar.html?m=1>,
> former Director of the Academy of Sanskrit Research in Melkote.
> As an early investigator of computerized śabdabodha, he was a founding
> father of Sanskrit computational linguistics.
> Gérard Huet

आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: ll
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.
- Rig Veda, I-89-i.

Professor
Department of Sanskrit Studies
University of Hyderabad