[INDOLOGY] Help with a simile

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Fri May 14 21:55:05 UTC 2021

Dear Jim,

Please disregard if you find this silly, but my thinking went in a different direction. Kuñcikā = a key, but it evokes a sense of similar terms, such as kuñcana, “curving, bending, contracting; contraction (of a vein)” (MW), and kuñcita “crooked, curved, bent, contracted; curled (MW), i.e., an image of a coiled snake; keys do force locks to unlock by exerting pressure on tumblers, etc., so just as a key “snakes” its way to open a door, Kuṇḍalinī breaks through the doorway to liberation for a Yogi. The violence of the snake is implicit in the imagery.

best wishes,
Dan