[INDOLOGY] Buddhist "sutta"

Uskokov, Aleksandar aleksandar.uskokov at yale.edu
Fri May 14 15:08:48 UTC 2021

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for sharing this. The same idea appears as part of the definition found in Vācaspati’s Bhāmatī on BSBh 1.1.1 (and I imagine elsewhere) –

yathāhuḥ
laghūni sūcitārthāni svalpākṣarapadāni ca |
sarvataḥ sārabhūtāni sūtrāṇy āhur manīṣiṇaḥ ||

I have been thinking for a while about the best way to render this sūtrāṇi … sūcitārthāni in English and am currently leaning towards “sūtras are statements that index their meaning.” I wanted to avoid “indication” because of possible confusion with figurative meaning, but perhaps that is too cautious? What would you (the forum) suggest?

Best wishes,
Aleksandar

Aleksandar Uskokov

Lector in Sanskrit

South Asian Studies Council, Yale University

203-432-1972 | aleksandar.uskokov at yale.edu