[INDOLOGY] The Buddhist term sutta

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Thu May 13 13:35:41 UTC 2021

Dear Professor Schlingloff,
Thanks for reminding us of this important textual research, which has
significant implications for our lexical understanding of the term sutta.
Your conclusion would be in harmony with the indications found in Pāṇini’s
Aṣṭādhyāyī,
AA 4.3.110 pārāśarya-śilālibhyāṁ bhikṣusūtrayoḥ and 110 karmanda-krśāśvād
iniḥ
according to which two groups of ascetics (mendicants) receive a name
according to the Brahminical ascetic school to which they belong.
In the Sanskritic-Prakritic, widely understandable diglossic vocabulary of
the time, still preceding the origination of classical Sanskrit with
several centuries,
the term sūtra/sutta was apparently used with regard to (sometimes
currently lost) texts for teaching, which were within their school a
Leitfaden, thread or guide
in relation to some larger body of discussions or texts, such as, also, the
Brāhmaṇas and Āraṇyakas in case of the Śrautasūtras.
This can never exclude (the development of) other contemporaneous
interpretations and understandings of the term sutta : yogād rūḍhir
balīyasī...
With best regards,
Jan Houben

On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 10:53, Dieter Schlingloff <dieter at schlingloff.de>
wrote:

> Dear all,
> in an article in ZDMG 113, 1964, *Zur Interpretation des Pratimoksasutra*,
> p.536-51 , I have given proofs for the thesis, that the Buddhist Pratimoksa
> *sutra* (in its oldest form) is the earliest  Buddhist text at all. This
> text is a real *thread*, a guide to korrekt behaviour for Buddhist monks.
> From this guide book, the term was taken over to the following texts
> concerned with teaching, the Buddhist suttas.
> Best greetings, Dieter Schlingloff.
> Am 12.05.2021 um 14:36 schrieb Andrew Ollett via INDOLOGY:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am reminded by Professor Paul Dundas of a few other points that might be
> relevant to this discussion:
>
>    - Paul Dundas (“Somnolent Sūtras: Scriptural Commentary in Śvetāmbara
>    Jainism," *Journal of Indian Philosophy* 24: 73–101, 1996) says the
>    following (p. 78: see the notes for the sources):
>       - The Jain position with regard to scripture and commentary upon
>       it, of whatever type or period, is strongly predicated upon the
>       acceptance of meaning as being superior to word.  This can be seen clearly
>       from the standard Jain etymology for the term “sūtra” which would derive it
>       from the root sūc, “indicate.” A sūtra “indicates” many meanings which the
>       teacher explicates through commentary, obtaining the sense from the root
>       text in the same manner as a potter creates shapes from a lump of clay.
>       - Mari Jvyärsjärvi (“Retrieving the Hidden Meaning: Jain
>    Commentarial Techniques and the Art of Memory,” *Journal of Indian
>    Philosophy *38.2: 133–162, 2010), cites Saṅghadāsa’s commentary on the *Br̥hatkalpa
>    *(p. 138):
>       - Sutra [becomes sutta] just like supta; or sūtra has a double
>       meaning [ 'sūtra is a thread']. Or it becomes sutta because it indicates
>       [sūcana] the meaning, or is well-spoken [sūkta]. These are its etymologies:
>       it 'indicates' or it 'sews,' or also 'it is produced,' or 'it follows.'
>       These are the divisions [of etymology], and these are its names. Sūtra is
>       like a person who is slumbering: unless it is "awakened" by meaning,
>       it cannot be known. Or due to the similarity in [words that have]
>       double meanings, many meanings are joined together. A needle, even when
>       broken, can be traced by the thread as long as it is threaded. Likewise
>       meaning [is pointed out] by the sūtra. It 'sews together' words and
>       meanings like a thread [sews together] jackets and so on.13
>       - The name of one of the older texts in the Śvētāmbara canon,
>    Sūyagaḍa-, is often rendered as Sūtrakr̥ta-, but the first part doesn't
>    correspond to the usual development of the Old Indic word sūtra-. Willem
>    Bollée suggested that it might come from *sūca-kr̥ta- or *sūca-gata- (in
>    his glossary to *Studien zum Sūyagaḍa*, vol. 1, p. 197). Compare the
>    Sanskrit word *sūcā*.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 1:45 PM Andrew Ollett <andrew.ollett at gmail.com>
> [...]

*Jan E.M. Houben*

Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite*

École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, Paris Sciences et Lettres)

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

Groupe de recherches en études indiennes (EA 2120)

*johannes.houben [at] ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*

*https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
<https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben>*

*https://www.classicalindia.info* <https://www.classicalindia.info>

LabEx Hastec OS 2021 -- *L'Inde Classique* augmentée: construction,
transmission

et transformations d'un savoir scientifique