[INDOLOGY] Re: Question

Dieter Gunkel dcgunkel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:53:41 UTC 2021

Dear Madhav,

I second what Andrew says. I also recommend Karl Praust's 2004 paper
(reference below) on the development of the class IX presents. According to
Praust, the realization of /CnHC/ as [Cn̥HC] in class IX presents was
avoided already in Proto-Indo-European in favor of [CnɪHC], with an
epenthetic vowel, in order that -n- be non-syllabic throughout the
inflectional paradigm, i.e. like the strong forms, which have the sequence
/CneHC/. In other words, there was analogical pressure to keep the *n* a
consonant, and the epenthetic vowel made that possible. The further
development to -nī- in Indic would then be the result of regular sound
change.

Praust cites the previous literature. Since then, there have been some
further discussions: Lipp 2009:392–4 n. 97; Yoshida 2013; Kümmel 2016; and
Gunkel 2018.

In my paper, I talk a bit about the development of the ī in class III
presents of the type mímīte. The metrical evidence from the Rigveda
suggests that we should restore some forms with a short i, esp. *mimihí
(for transmitted mimīhí). jahimaḥ 'we leave' is attested in the
Atharvaveda. Those show us the regular phonological development to short i
(in accordance with Jamison's foundational study). The long vowels there
are analogical, and I think it's attractive to have them be analogical to
the class IX presents. If we follow Praust, then the chronology works
nicely: the long ī in class IX would be in place early enough for that
analogy to take place.

Best,

Dieter

Gunkel, Dieter. 2018. Localization evidence for the restoration of Rigvedic
*mimihi 'measure'. In Vina Diem Celebrent: Studies in Linguistics and
Philology in Honor of Brent Vine, ed. Gunkel et al., 76–92. Ann Arbor:
Beech Stave.

Kümmel, Martin Joachim. 2016. “Zur ‘Vokalisierung’ der Laryngale im
Indoiranischen.” In Sahasram Ati Srajas: Indo-Iranian and Indo-European
Studies in Honor of Stephanie W. Jamison ed. Gunkel et al., 216–26. Ann
Arbor: Beech Stave.

Lipp, Reiner. 2009. Die indogermanischen und einzelsprachlichen Palatale im
Indoiranischen. Vol. 2, Thorn-Problem, indoiranische Laryngalvokalisation.
Heidelberg: Winter.

Praust, Karl. 2004. “Zur historischen Beurteilung von griech. κλίνω, der
altindischen 9. Präsensklasse und zur Frage grundsprachlicher
‘ni-Präsentien’.” In Artes et Scientiae: Festschrift für Ralf-Peter Ritter
zum 65. Geburtstag, ed. Peter Anreiter, Marialuise Haslinger, Heinz Dieter
Pohl, and Helmut Winberger, 369–90. Vienna: Praesens.

Yoshida, Kazuhiko. 2013. “The weak affix -nī- in Sanskrit ninth class
presents.” Münchener Studien zur Sprachwissenschaft 67:65–77.