[INDOLOGY] Re: Sanskrit outside universities

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 04:08:35 UTC 2021

Dear Antonia, and dear colleagues,

I'm encouraged by the interest that these programs represent, and aware of
the fact that even universities that offer Sanskrit require students to be
enrolled in (often very expensive) degree programs to take courses. The "à
la carte" model has a lot to recommend it. I myself would be a little
worried, in principle, about the business model and ideology of some
"alt-ac" programs --- not, of course, the ones you listed, which have real
scholarly credentials behind them --- but I suppose some people could worry
about the business model and ideology of university instruction, too.

Still, I would hope that people still go first to their local university
(or the nearest university that teaches Sanskrit), because they won't know
what's available unless they ask. Our Sanskrit classes at the University of
Chicago, for example, are open to students from a dozen or so other
universities in the midwest US (at least during the pandemic!), and some
university programs put their instructional materials online for free.
Faculty might also offer advice about language study.

Andrew