[INDOLOGY] Re: locating Saṃgharatna

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:02:46 UTC 2021

Dear Ryan,

I agree that things on the ground were probably never as clear-cut as our modern doxographies typically presume. Just a few days ago I was reminded of the following passage from Yijing’s Buddhist Monastic Traditions of Southern Asia (sometimes known in secondary lit. romanization as I-Tsing, because of how Takakusu’s 1896 translation of rendered Yijing’s name). What he describes, which would reflect the situation in the second half of the 7th century, probably remained the case for awhile, especially the “mixing” of the two yānas. Here is Li Rongxi’s tr. of the passage.

Among the four schools there is no definite classification as to which ones should be put under Mahayana and which ones under Hinayana. In the regions of North India and the South Seas, what is prevalent is purely Hinayana, while in the Divine Land of China, the monks keep the great teaching in their minds. At other places both the Mahayana and the Hinayana are practiced in a mixed way. Through an examination of their practices, we see no differences in their disciplinary rules and restrictions. Both of them classify the Vinaya rules into five sections and practice the four noble truths. Those who worship bodhisattvas and read Mahayana scriptures are named Mahayanists, and those who do not do so are called Hinayanists. What is known as Mahayana consists of only two sub-schools, first, the Madhyamika and second, the Yogacara. (p. 14)

《南海寄歸內法傳》卷1:「其四部之中。大乘小乘區分不定。北天南海之郡。純是小乘。神州赤縣之鄉。意[18]存大教。自餘諸處大小雜行。考其致也。則律撿不殊。齊制五篇通修四諦。若禮菩薩讀大乘經。名之為大。不行斯事號之為小。所云大乘無過二種。一則中觀。二乃瑜伽。」(CBETA, T54, no. 2125, p. 205, c8-14)
[18]存=在【宋】【元】【明】。

Dan