[INDOLOGY] Re: -t/-d

Stefan Baums baums at lmu.de
Thu Mar 4 09:32:12 UTC 2021

Dear Antonia,

> I'm actually unsure what we reconstruct for ablative forms such
> as tasmāt (also an original -d based e.g. on Old Latin ablatives
> in -od (long o)/-ād?)

*-ōt seems to be the standard assumption, so for instance in the
declension tables in Meier-Brügger’s Einführung § 311 and Sihler’s
Comparative Grammar § 255 (variant *-āt), though then in his
discussion in § 257 Sihler has “*-t (? or *-d) preceded by a long
vowel.” He adduces Hittite instr. -at, abl. -az(a) < *-ati, and
does seem to consider Sabellian *-ōd as secondary, namely from

Macdonell, Kale and Whitney presumably just chose the Sanskrit
sandhi forms that corresponded to their understanding of the
Indo-European background of the nominative and ablative.

All best,
Stefan

--
Stefan Baums, Ph.D.