[INDOLOGY] Re: -t/-d

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 4 04:24:11 UTC 2021

Dear Mark,

     This divergence goes back to the Śaunakīya-Caturādhyāyika [rule
1.1.10] which reads: *prathamāntāni tr̥tīyāntānīti Śaunakasya pratijñānaṃ n*
a* vr̥ttiḥ*, "It is a precept of Śaunaka that the words [*padas*] ending in
the first members of the stop-series, i.e. voiceless unaspirated stops,
should rather end in the third members, i.e. voiced unaspirated stops. Such
however, is not the recitational practice." [HOS 52]. So, should a pada end
as *tat *or *tad* seems to have been a very long debate. The practice of
the Śaunakīya-Atharvaveda Padapāṭha, as noted in the Atharva-Prātiśākhya
reads: *tat iti takārāntaṃ Śaunake*.  This is also the case in the
manuscripts of the Padapāṭha and Jaṭāpāṭha that I used for my edition in
the *Recitational Permutations of the Śaunakīya Atharvaveda *[HOS 61].
Such is also the practice of the RV Padapāṭha. But as the rule in the
Śaunakīya-Caturādhyāyikā shows, there was a dispute among different
scholars about this.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]