[INDOLOGY] Again-Schwab's English translation

Lyne Bansat-Boudon Lyne.Bansat-Boudon at ephe.psl.eu
Mon Jun 28 21:25:13 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

This is to corroborante the answer Rosane Rocher gave to the interesting question of  Dean Michael Anderson.
It was indeed the other way round for those creations were the result  of an increasing aspiration to secularism («   laïcité »). It was specially the case, regarding the Ecole pratique des hautes études (EPHE),  with the creation, in 1886, of its 5h section, which was named section «des Sciences religieuses»  (and not «d'histoire des religions», for instance), for the issue was to provide a non-denominational teaching  of religious facts.  Moreover, under the aegis of Victor Duruy, the Minister of Education (Ministre de l’instruction publique), the credits allocated until then to the Faculties of Catholic Theology were transferred to the EPHE at the occasion of the creation of the section of Sciences religieuses, to the great displeasure, not surprisingly, of those Faculties.

Best,

Lyne

[cid:8E90FAFD-609F-4D7A-9393-D17E94D59596 at home]