[INDOLOGY] Indian sites of learning

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Jun 6 18:56:36 UTC 2021

Hello Matthew,

To the list provided by Dominik, I would like to add the following books1.
The Pandit: Traditional Scholarship in India" edited by Axel Michaels.
2. Sons of Sarasvati, Late Exemplars of the Indian Intellectual Tradition,
by Chinya V. Ravishankar, SUNY, 2018

3. Vedic Voices, Intimate Narratives of a Living Andhra Tradition, by David
M. Knipe, Oxford University Press, 2015

4. Embodying the Vedas - Traditional Vedic Schools of Contemporary
Maharashtra
<https://www.academia.edu/32238577/Embodying_the_Vedas_Traditional_Vedic_Schools_of_Contemporary_Maharashtra>,
by Borayin Larios, De Gruyter, 2017

Let me also mention two of my articles:

2015. "Pune: An Emerging Center of Education in Early Modern
Maharashtra", [International Journal of Hindu Studies], DOI:
10.1007/s11407-015-9172-3 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11407-015-9172-3>

2013. “Sanskrit Traditions during the Rule of the Peshwas: Role,
Maintenance, and Transition,” pp. 68-80.  In *Grammatica et Verba: Glamor
and Verve: Studies in South Asian, historical, and Indo-European
linguistics in honor of Hans Henrich Hock on the occasion of his
seventy-fifth birthday*, edited by Shu-Fen Chen and Benjamin Slade.  Ann
Arbor, New York: Beech Stave Press.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]