[INDOLOGY] Book recommendations? Folklore, British colonial era

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Mon Jan 25 09:44:15 UTC 2021

I would recommend this book:

J. Abbott, The Keys of Power: A Study of Indian Ritual and Belief, London: Methuen, 1932.
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.219400

It is a treasure that I consult quite often. There are several Indian reprints (under the title: Indian ritual and belief: The keys of power), I have this one (from Manohar, it costs only 750 Rs):
https://www.manoharbooks.com/BookDetails.asp?Id=2835&isbn=9788173043390

The book will be reprinted this year by Routledge (and will cost ₤130!):
https://www.routledge.com/The-Keys-of-Power-A-Study-of-Indian-Ritual-and-Belief/Abbott/p/book/9781032005645

Best
Lubomir