Re: [INDOLOGY] Aṅgula

jmdelire jmdelire at ulb.ac.be
Thu Jan 14 18:05:17 UTC 2021

Hi, Everybody,

First of all, I wish all the colleagues on the Indology list a very
happy year 2021.
The fact that aṅgula is defined in the BaudhŚulb. as 14 aṇu (I,3-4
Thibaut numbering) or 34 tila (I,5) is not to be taken too seriously.
The last one has something to do with the approximate value given by
BaudhŚulb. I,62 to the dvikaraṇii (square root of 2, in a modern view)
as 1 + 1/3 + 1/12 - 1/(12.34) and the first one with MānŚulb 10.1.2.6-7
(Van Gelder), that implies an approximate value of 7/5. I developped all
this in my book "Les mathématiques de l'autel védique" (Droz, 2016) and
in a previous article : « Quadratures, circulature and the approximation
of square root of 2 in the Indian Śulba-sūtras », Centaurus
(International Magazine of the History of Mathematics, Science and
Technology), vol.47 (2005), pp.60-71.

All the best,

Jean Michel Delire,
Lecturer on Science and civilization in India - Sanskrit texts, IHEB
(University of Brussels)