[INDOLOGY] Balinese Hinduism

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:20:36 UTC 2021

Dear Matthew,
See in this connection also an earlier publication by H. Schulte Nordholt:
SCHULTE NORDHOLT, H. 1994. “The making of traditional Bali: Colonial
ethnography and bureaucratic reproduction.” *History and Anthropology*,
vol. 8: 89-127.
I neither have a scan nor do I have access to my physical photocopy of the
article...
Best wishes for the new year,
Jan

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 11:26, Andrea Acri via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Matthew,
>
> such terms as Agama Bali Hindu, Agama Hindu Bali, Agama Tirtha, etc.,
> start to be attested in Balinese literature from the first two or three
> decades of the twentieth century.
>
> A recent and comprehensive discussion of this issue may be found in the
> book by Michel Picard, *Kebalian : la construction dialogue de l’identity
> balinaise*. Paris : Les Cahiers d’Archipel Vol. 44, 2017.
>
> Best,
>
> Andrea
>

> *Andrea ACRI*
> *École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE), PSL University *
> www.ephe.fr | www.univ-psl.fr
>
> *École française d’Extrême-Orient (EFEO)*
> Project DHARMA, ERC Synergy 809994
> https://dharma.hypotheses.org <https://dharma.hypotheses.org/project>
>
> Publications at: www.ephe.academia.edu/AndreaAcri
>

> Le 12 janv. 2021 à 10:59, Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :
>
> Dear friends,
>
> Might you be able to shed light on just when it was that the designation
> "Hindu" first came to be applied to the religion of Bali, and what the
> local term(s) may have been beforehand? A small number of references would
> be most welcome as well.
>
> with thanks in advance,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

*Jan E.M. Houben*

Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite*

École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, Paris Sciences et Lettres)

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

*johannes.houben [at] ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*

*https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
<https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben>*