[INDOLOGY] Chaos in Indian mythology and philosophy

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:09:22 UTC 2021

In

Mircea Eliade, *Cosmos and History. The Myth of the Eternal Return*, trans.
Willard R. Trask, New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers, 1954. (in English)
 ,

the word 'chaos' occurs 31 times.

He repeatedly uses the phrase 'chaos to cosmos' to signify the cycle.

He talks of vrtra in connection with chaos pp19-20.

For the purposes of a global comparative mythology and philosophy of chaos
including the 'Hindu', this book is a very good , a highly elaborate , if
not exhaustive source.

It discusses many  concepts such as 'suffering' as  related to chaos, the
other 'end' /'side' of cosmos.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:59 PM Jeffery Long via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Dmitry,
>
> In addition to the excellent suggestions already given, you might also
> look into the concept of adharma. To the extent that dharma comes to take
> over the meaning of the Vedic ṛta, or cosmic order, adharma would suggest
> its opposite (and would fit well with some of the things already mentioned
> by others, such as the admixture of varṇas in the Kali Yuga).
>
> All the best,
> Jeff
>
> Dr. Jeffery D. Long
> Carl W. Zeigler Professor of Religious Studies
> Elizabethtown College
> Elizabethtown, PA
>
> https://etown.academia.edu/JefferyLong
>
> Series Editor, Explorations in Indic Traditions: Ethical,
> Philosophical, and Theological
> Lexington Books
>
> “One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome
> all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials
> of life.”  (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)
>
> “We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself.” (Carl Sagan)
>

>> On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 8:25 AM Danilov Dmitry via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list members,
>>>
>>> I would be very thankful for any suggestions and works, which have
>>> studied the concepts in Indian philosophy and religion related or similar
>>> to the Western concept of "chaos".
>>>
>>> Best to all,
>>> Dmitry Danilov
>>> danilov.dmitry.a at gmail.com

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.