[INDOLOGY] Re: Puranas

Paolo Eugenio Rosati paoloe.rosati at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 11:08:44 UTC 2021

Dear All,

thank you very much for your private and public comments. Many thanks to
David and Peter for sharing the bibliography for Puranic texts. I didn't
know that all the translations published through Motilal Banarsidass were
based on the Venkatesvara edition. In Rocher (1986), I think, only the *Śiva
Purāṇa* is said to be based on the Paṇḍitapustakālaya edition (1963), which
was an emendation of the Vankatesvara edition.

Are there new studies on the date of compilation of these (probably
non-original) Puranas? Following Rocher and Hazra it seems almost
impossible to give any useful and realistic date of compilation.

Best,
Paolo

*Paolo E. Rosati*

*PhD in Asian and African Studies*