[INDOLOGY] Rgveda complete study material and reverse word index

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 23:21:44 UTC 2021

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 at 21:38, Nagaraj Paturi <nagarajpaturi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The category 'western' as a label for a certain worldview , a certain
> approach to understanding things has been used widely in the academic
> studies world over.

I know, and it's a curse.

In my view, it's impossible to use this category without rapidly descending
into jingoistic language or implications. That's why I never use it.

I find Madhav's contrasting terms, westernized-indian and
indianized-westerner fun and thought-provoking.  What I draw from this is,
again, that using "west" as a meaningful category to refer to something
cultural is never going to help.  The term is useful for the
clash-of-civilizations type of narrative, that has goals other than
deepening understanding, but not for serious work by serious people.

In my thinking and writing in recent years I say "European and North
American" if I want to refer to ideas or people from Europe and N.
America.  I make it specifically geographical, as Camillo too suggests.  To
do otherwise is to essentialize harmfully, to be Toynbee redivivus, heaven
forbid.
Best,
DW

PS,