Re: [INDOLOGY] Brāhmī in Sri Lanka
wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:01:31 UTC 2020
>From my undergraduate coursework:
Sidebar: controversies about the Buddha
- Reframing the date of the Buddha; Heinz Bechert "The Date of the
- Lance Cousins, "The Dating of the Historical Buddha: A Review
- The Canonical evidence (Buddha born in Lumbinī)
- The Divyāvadāna evidence (Aśoka visited birthplace of the Buddha in
- (Re)discovery of Lumbini: Hultszch
pp. xxii and 164.
- Lumbini at Google maps
- Coningham 2013, "The earliest Buddhist shrine"
- Article about the 2013 finds, with Julia Shaw's response
- Gombrich 2013, "Recent discovery of "earliest Buddhist shrine” a
After studying Coningham 2013 carefully and the responses from Shaw and
Gombrich (which are informal but clear and damning), I no longer attend to
Professor Dominik Wujastyk
Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
University of Alberta, Canada
South Asia at the U of A:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 03:23, Harry Falk via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
> I quote:
> - given half the chance, modern historians of ancient India will not stop
> at anything!
> - writing was known in historic India around 500 BC.
> - orthodox ‘comparative philologists’ of the nineteenth century.
> - strong smell of racism
> - Birch leaf fragments have been identified in its Black-and-Red Ware
> level dated around 800 BC [for nothing but writing]
> - direct hard evidence
> sancta simplitas!
> The lamented and truly knowledgable dear friend Iravathan Mahadevan had
> sent the book to me as well. We were fully d'accord regarding its nature.
> Was he a racist?
> Harry Falk
> INDOLOGY mailing list
> INDOLOGY at list.indology.info
> indology-owner at list.indology.info (messages to the list's managing
> http://listinfo.indology.info (where you can change your list options or
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the INDOLOGY