Re: [INDOLOGY] root skr̥?

Sharon Ben-Dor sharonbendor at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 12:56:39 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav,

The addition of suṭ poses quite a few difficulties. Because you mentioned Kāśikāvṛtti sūtra A 6.1.136, I think it is relevant to point out one of the explanations of the Pradīpa and Uddyota under the Bhāṣya on A 6.1.135 vt.7 which offers an unconventional point of view on the matter. There, Kaiyaṭa says that Patañjali’s argument “evamartham eva tarhi kātpūrvagrahaṇaṁ kartavyaṁ kātpūrvo yathā syāt” (Bh III.93.3-4) may alternatively mean that pūrva in A 6.1.135 is used for specifying the stage when suṭ should be added (kālāvadhāraṇa) - when ḍukṛñ begins with the sound k, before the addition of aṭ or the reduplication. Nāgeśa comments that this is Patañjali’s final opinion on the issue. With this explanation, Kātyāyana’s vārttikas 5 and 6 on A 6.1.135, or Kāśikāvṛtti’s sūtra A 6.1.136, are unnecessary. But it does not solve all the difficulties mentioned by the commentators. For example, A 7.2.43 may undesirably be applicable in samskṛṣīṣṭa because there is an aṅga that begins with a saṃyoga and ends with ṛ (sam skṛ+liṅ).

In my opinion, the requirement, introduced by Kātyāyana in his vārttika on A 1.1.66/67, that the preceding and following items must be in an immediate sequence without any other intervening item is unnecessary. As far as I can see, this requirement does not have any purpose and causes many difficulties. In addition, the Bhāṣya on A 1.1.57 (Bh 244.10-11) argues that pūrva is used also when there is something in between, as in “pūrvaṃ mathurāyāḥ pāṭaliputram”, and Kātyāyana says “dṛṣṭam ānantaryaṁ vyavahite” (A 1.1.7 vt.7-Bh I.59.11).

Yours

Sharon