Re: [INDOLOGY] root skr̥?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Oct 30 19:28:47 UTC 2020

Thanks, Hans.  Indeed, that is the sort of difference I am noticing here.
Without a comment, Śākalya renders the *askr̥ta *of the Saṃhitā to *akr̥ta *in
the Padapāṭha.  This has both historical and theoretical implications.
Since we don't have Śākalya's grammar with us, Pāṇini shows what synchronic
grammarians might do with such things.  But for this specific example, I
don't remember seeing a particular rule in Pāṇini that would take us
from *akr̥ta
*of the Padapāṭha to *askr̥ta* of the Saṃhitā with augmentation of the root
with "*s*".  The closest I find is P.6.1.136, which says that the augment "
*s*" can be attached even when there is intervention by the past tense
marker "*a*" or reduplication of the root. The example of the first is
*sam-a-s-karot*. In RV we have 10.127.03a  *nír u svásāram **askr̥ta*, though
the pre-verb/preposition *nis/nir *is separated from the verb *askr̥ta*, it
is the intended combination *nir-a-s-kr̥ta* or the base verbal combination
*niṣkaroti/niṣkurute* that explains the "s" in this form.  Perhaps a good
example of "s-mobile".

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]