Re: [INDOLOGY] Symbols in Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa text

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:47:59 UTC 2020

This is a simple case of vedic sandhi, which everyone could easily look up
themselves in any grammar:

-*ān* before vowels is replaced by → *ā* (= *ā*+Anunāsika)

So,* sárgān iva* results in *sárgā*** *i**va* (= *sárgā*[+ Anunāsika] *iva*
)

A glance into the Padapāṭha of your quote shows that „baṇa'vā(gum)“
actually terminates in –*vān*, not in –*m* (as in the cited cases of –
*bhyām*). The present *n*-sound is replaced by Anunāsika before the initial *u-
*of *uta*, hence the „*gum*“ of the reciters.

Regards,

WS