Re: [INDOLOGY] Symbols in Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa text

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 07:14:04 UTC 2020

Dear Harry Spier,

according to my limited knowledge, Vājasaneyins pronounce(d) Anunāsika
before semi-vowels, sibilants and h as "*ṅg*", represented in writing by a
special sign (as in your edition): śata*ṃ* śṛṇuyāma → "śata*ṅg* śṛṇuyāma".
Quite similar to how Germans - in the majority of cases - pronounce French
nasalizations, e.g. "Karto*ng*" for "carto*n*"

However, the pronunciation when reciting Saṃhitā texts replaces the
articulation of Anusvāra with a spoken "guṃ". So "tā *guṃ *haitām ..." for
tā*ṃ* haitām ..."

Your symbol represents an Anusvāra sign in a particular phonetic
environment.

Vedicists will know better.

Best,
WS