[INDOLOGY] Translations

Eric Gurevitch ericmgurevitch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 19:07:41 UTC 2020

 In the 11th century, a scholar named Śrīdhara selected passages from
Varāhamihira’s *Laghujātakam*, his *Bṛhajjātakam*, and Kalyāṇavarman’s
*Sārāvali* and translated them into new Kannada to create a text titled the
*Jātakatilakaṃ*. I suppose the question here is less what constitutes
“translation” and more what constitutes a “text.” There are a number of
other authors from the period who translate long passages from Sanskrit
sciences, especially the works of Varāhamihira, into Kannada.

Elaine Fisher at Stanford is working on a project right now on 16th
and 17th-century
translations within the Vīraśaiva community. I am unsure if she has
published the materials yet, but she has many.

All the best,

Eric

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 1:34 PM Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> There is also a Marathi Abhanga rendering of the Bhagavadgītā attributed
> to Tukārām.  The 13th Century Jñāneśvarī is more of a Marathi verse
> commentary on the Bhagavadgītā rather than a translation.  The 19th century
> is the real beginning of Marathi translations of Sanskrit and English works
> on a large scale.  This coincides with the emergence of printing and
> publishing.
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM Jonathan Peterson via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear Patrick,
>>
>> Marathi renderings of Bhartṛhari’s three śatakas and Jagannātha's
>> Gaṅgālaharī are attributed to the seventeenth-century poet Vāmana Paṇḍit.
>> There’s some debate among scholars of Marathi literature as to whether
>> there were two Vāmanas, but either way, those texts were adapted into
>> Marathi in the seventeenth century. The question of what constitutes a
>> translation is worth asking in this case, as these 'translations’ are
>> refracted through Vāmana’s unique understanding of bhakti and Advaita
>> Vedānta.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Jonathan Peterson
>> University of Toronto
>>

>> On Nov 29, 2020, at 9:00 AM, indology-request at list.indology.info wrote:
>>
>> *Translations*

Eric Gurevitch

PhD Candidate, South Asian Languages and Civilizations and

Committee on Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science

University of Chicago

gurevitch at uchicago.edu